Ms. magazine  -- more than a magazine a movement

SIGN UP FOR MS. DIGEST, JOBS, NEWS AND ALERTS

FEMINIST WIRE NEWSBRIEFS

ABOUT
SEE CURRENT ISSUE
SHOP MS. STORE
MS. IN THE CLASSROOM
FEMINIST DAILY WIRE
FEMINIST RESOURCES
PRESS
JOBS AT MS.
READ BACK ISSUES
CONTACT
RSS (XML)
 
feminist wire | daily newsbriefs

April-13-06

Alleged Victim of Rape at Duke Identifies Attacker

The victim of an alleged sexual assault by three white Duke lacrosse players has identified at least one of her attackers, according to District Attorney Mike Nifong. Though initial DNA tests did not conclusively link any of the players to the assault, Nifong has said that he had sufficient additional evidence to believe that a sexual assault did occur, according to the New York Times. Examinations of the victim shortly after the alleged rape showed that she had symptoms consistent with sexual assault, according to the Associated Press.

The alleged victim, an African American, and another woman had been hired to perform as exotic dancers at a party held at a house rented by three lacrosse team captains. In addition to rape, the woman has alleged that she was physically assaulted by the players, and subjected to racial slurs. No charges have been filed yet in the case, but the grand jury in Durham meets on Monday. At a forum on violence against women at North Carolina Central University, where the alleged victim is a student, Nifong said, “In this case, I would expect a jury gets to evaluate the evidence,” according to the Raleigh News & Observer.

In a letter to the Duke community, Duke University president Richard Brodhead said that the alleged criminal acts have brought deep issues to the foreground, including “issues of race and gender, … [and] concerns about the deep structures of inequality in our society – inequalities of wealth, privilege, and opportunity (including educational opportunity), and the attitudes of superiority those inequalities breed.” President Brodhead announced five steps that Duke was taking in response to the situation, including canceling the lacrosse season, investigating the response of the administration, examining the student judicial process, launching a “Campus Culture Initiative” to address the values and responsibilities of the Duke community, and convening a Presidential Council to offer advice and guidance as Duke moves forward.

Media Resources: New York Times 4/11/06, 4/13/06; Raleigh News and Observer 4/12/06; Durham Herald Sun 4/12/06; President Brodhead letter 4/5/06


© Feminist Majority Foundation, publisher of Ms. magazine

If you liked this story, consider making a tax-deductible donation to support Ms. magazine.

 

 

Send to a Friend
Their
Your
Comments
(optional)


More Feminist News

10/30/2014 Medication Abortion Access Threatened by Oklahoma Court Ruling - An Oklahoma state district court judge has refused to block a state law restricting medication abortion, clearing the way for the law to go into affect on November 1. The Oklahoma Coalition for Reproductive Justice, together with a local abortion clinic in Tulsa, challenged HB 2684 in September, arguing that the law was an unconstitutional restriction on non-surgical abortion in the earliest weeks of pregnancy. The court's decision denied their request to temporarily block the legislation pending a final ruling on its constitutionality, rubber stamping the efforts of Oklahoma politicians to force doctors to use an outdated protocol for administering a medication abortion using the drug mifepristone - one that the medical community and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists have rejected  in favor of a new standard of care that calls for a significantly lower dosage. . . .
 
10/29/2014 North Dakota Supreme Court Upholds Abortion Restrictions - The North Dakota Supreme Court yesterday upheld a set of misguided restrictions on medication abortion, allowing what is effectively a ban on early, non-surgical abortions in the state to go into effect immediately. The decision overturned a lower court order finding the law, known as HB 1297, unconstitutional and permanently blocking its enforcement. . . .
 
10/29/2014 Georgia Court Refuses to Recognize 40K Voter Registrations From Primarily People of Color and Young People - A state court judge on Tuesday refused to order the Georgia Secretary of State to add some 40,000 voters to the voter rolls, potentially disenfranchising thousands of African Americans and other people of color in the state. Judge Christopher Brasher of the Fulton County Superior Court denied a petition from the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (LCCR), the New Georgia Project and the Georgia branch of the NAACP asking the court to force Secretary of State Brian Kemp (R) to process an estimated 40,000 "missing" voter registrations. More than 100,000 voters were registered by the three groups, but about a third of those registered never made the rolls. . . .