Ms. magazine  -- more than a magazine a movement

SIGN UP FOR MS. DIGEST, JOBS, NEWS AND ALERTS

FEMINIST WIRE NEWSBRIEFS

ABOUT
SEE CURRENT ISSUE
SHOP MS. STORE
MS. IN THE CLASSROOM
FEMINIST DAILY WIRE
FEMINIST RESOURCES
PRESS
JOBS AT MS.
READ BACK ISSUES
CONTACT
RSS (XML)
 
feminist wire | daily newsbriefs

December-18-02

Kopp Pleads Not Guilty to Second Murder Charge

Anti-abortion extremist James Kopp pleaded not guilty to a second murder charge yesterday, after a grand jury indicted him last week for “reckless or depraved murder” in addition to an original charge of intentional murder. The new charge came after Kopp’s jailhouse confession in the sniper-style killing of Dr. Barnett Slepian, a Buffalo obstetrician/gynecologist and abortion provider. Despite admitting to the fatal shooting, Kopp will plead “not guilty” because he claims his intention was to wound Dr. Slepian, not kill him. The jury in Kopp’s upcoming February charge must choose between the two charges, according to prosecutors.

During yesterday’s court proceedings, Kopp made it clear that his defense will center around his anti-abortion viewpoints when he told Erie County Judge Michael D’Amico that the charges against him are really about “the murder of children” by abortion providers, according to the Buffalo News. D’Amico told Kopp to put his argument in writing, the News reported. Meanwhile, outside the courtroom Bruce Barket, Kopp’s chief attorney in his state trial, reiterated this strategy. “Factually there’s no dispute,” Barket said, according to the News. “We know what happened, but what is in dispute is the morality of abortion.”

Kopp shot and killed Slepian while he stood in the kitchen of his Buffalo home October 23, 1998. For the next two and a half years, Kopp, who was an early suspect in the murder, evaded authorities until he was apprehended in France in 2001. If Kopp is convicted of the murder, he faces 25 years to life in prison. Kopp, who was at one time on the FBI’s Most Wanted List, is not only facing charges in Slepian’s murder, but also has been indicted for the 1995 shooting of Ontario abortion provider Dr. Hugh Short and is the primary suspect in three separate shootings of abortion providers in Canada and New York.

Media Resources: Buffalo News 12/17/02, 12/18/02; Associated Press 12/17/02; Reuters 12/17/02


© Feminist Majority Foundation, publisher of Ms. magazine

If you liked this story, consider making a tax-deductible donation to support Ms. magazine.

 

 

Send to a Friend
Their
Your
Comments
(optional)


More Feminist News

7/23/2014 UConn to Pay Over $1.2 Million in Sexual Assault Settlement - The University of Connecticut (UConn) will pay $1.28 million in settlement fees for a sexual assault lawsuit brought against the university by five sexual assault survivors. The federal lawsuit was brought by five women after four of the women had filed complaints with the Department of Education (ED) alleging that UConn had mishandled rape cases and failed to take action on reports of harassment, in violation of Title IX. . . .
 
7/23/2014 100 Days Vigils Held To Support Rescue of Kidnapped Nigerian Schoolgirls - 100 days ago today, more than 270 schoolgirls were kidnapped in Nigeria by Boko Haram. . . .
 
7/22/2014 Louisiana Pro-Choice Community Stands Up Against Operation Rescue - Saturday, Operation Rescue/Operation Save America launched an aggressive week-long siege against reproductive health clinics and abortion care providers in southern Louisiana. The annual siege is expected to run through Saturday, July 26, but already, several dozen Operation Rescue protesters have moved these forceful assemblies to doctors' private residences, riling neighbors in the process with their megaphones, explicit and invasive signage. . . .