Infamous Doctor Seeks to Head Arkansas Health Department
A doctor in Arkansas who lost his bid for the U.S. Senate after he remarked that women are not likely to become pregnant through rape is pursuing a job as head of the Arkansas Health Department.
Republican Fay Boozman, a 52 year-old eye doctor, received a call from Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee's office asking him to join the selection committee in search of a new state health director. Boozman declined joining the committee, saying that he planned to run for the position himself.
Boozman, who is anti-choice, said that women who have been raped were unlikely to get pregnant, and thus would not need access to abortion. Boozman claimed that if a woman is raped, she will become frightened, causing her body to release a hormone that would prevent conception from occuring. Boozman called this unnamed hormone "God's little protective shield."
Boozman's remark, made during his Senate race was widely criticized by doctors, who said it held no scientific truth. Boozman apologized after the public and scientific community reacted negatively to what he said, but continues to stand by his hypothesis.
Boozman is among several candidates being evaluated for the job. He will receive a second interview with the health department, although many critics have claimed that he is unqualified for the position.
5/1/2015 House Reverses DC Law Banning Reproductive Health Discrimination by Employers - The US House of Representatives voted Thursday night to overturn a Washington, DC, law that makes it illegal for employers to retaliate against employees who use their insurance to cover procedures like in-vitro fertilization or abortion and contraception like birth control pills and IUDs for themselves, their spouses, or their children.
The District's council passed the Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Amendment Act last year. . . .
4/30/2015 400 Women and Children Have Been Rescued From Boko Haram in Nigeria - In two different operations in under a week, Nigerian troops have rescued more than 400 women and children who had been kidnapped by Boko Haram.
On Tuesday, Nigerian troops announced they rescued 200 girls and 93 women from Boko Haram - and today news has come out that troops rescued another 160 women and children.
While the news is promising and shows progress made in Nigeria to combat Boko Haram, the girls rescued were not the Chibok girls who inspired the #BringBackOurGirls movement last year. . . .