Ms. magazine  -- more than a magazine a movement

SIGN UP FOR MS. DIGEST, JOBS, NEWS AND ALERTS

FEMINIST WIRE NEWSBRIEFS

ABOUT
SEE CURRENT ISSUE
SHOP MS. STORE
MS. IN THE CLASSROOM
FEMINIST DAILY WIRE
FEMINIST RESOURCES
PRESS
JOBS AT MS.
READ BACK ISSUES
CONTACT
RSS (XML)
 
feminist wire | daily newsbriefs

March-22-07

South Australian Court Makes Controversial Rape Ruling

The Court of Criminal Appeal in South Australia cleared the record of a man who had been found guilty by a jury of raping a woman. The 54-year-old defendant allegedly offered to give a woman a ride, then forced her to perform fellatio and have sex with him, according to the woman. The jury found him guilty of forced intercourse, but not of forcing oral sex. At the appeals level, the court ruled 2-1 that the decision was "illogical" and "unacceptable" because intercourse in one encounter cannot be both consensual and nonconsensual. The appeals court erased the defendant's criminal record.

This decision has caused uproar among women's groups who fear that the lines between consensual sex and rape will be weakened in the legal system. Said Yarrow Place Rape and Sexual Assault Service Director Vanessa Swan, "If someone says yes to a single sex act and then says no to a second, continuing should be considered rape. Anyone with common sense would think that, but the difficulty is translating common sense into the law," Australia News Limited reports.

The State Government has pledged to consider new laws that would deem sex as rape, even if consent is withdrawn at anytime throughout the act.

Media Resources: Australia News Limited 3/20/07; Feministing.com 3/22/07


© Feminist Majority Foundation, publisher of Ms. magazine

If you liked this story, consider making a tax-deductible donation to support Ms. magazine.

 

 

Send to a Friend
Their
Your
Comments
(optional)


More Feminist News

7/23/2014 UConn to Pay Over $1.2 Million in Sexual Assault Settlement - The University of Connecticut (UConn) will pay $1.28 million in settlement fees for a sexual assault lawsuit brought against the university by five sexual assault survivors. The federal lawsuit was brought by five women after four of the women had filed complaints with the Department of Education (ED) alleging that UConn had mishandled rape cases and failed to take action on reports of harassment, in violation of Title IX. . . .
 
7/23/2014 100 Days Vigils Held To Support Rescue of Kidnapped Nigerian Schoolgirls - 100 days ago today, more than 270 schoolgirls were kidnapped in Nigeria by Boko Haram. . . .
 
7/22/2014 Louisiana Pro-Choice Community Stands Up Against Operation Rescue - Saturday, Operation Rescue/Operation Save America launched an aggressive week-long siege against reproductive health clinics and abortion care providers in southern Louisiana. The annual siege is expected to run through Saturday, July 26, but already, several dozen Operation Rescue protesters have moved these forceful assemblies to doctors' private residences, riling neighbors in the process with their megaphones, explicit and invasive signage. . . .