Teenager Accused in New Delhi Gang-Rape Pleads Not-Guilty
A teenager accused of murder in the violent gang-rape of a New Delhi medical student in December 2012 plead not guilty. According to Reuters, an anonymous official told the media outlet, "The court has framed charges against the boy under relevant sections. He has pleaded not guilty and claimed trial in the case."
In a ruling earlier this year, the Juvenile Justice Board determined that the accused was a minor at the time of the incident. As a result he will be tried in juvenile court separately from the other five alleged attackers, all of whom are over 18. If convicted of the charges of murder, rape, and kidnapping, the minor would face a maximum of three years in a juvenile facility. The five adults who also face charges of murder, rape, and kidnapping, could be executed if found guilty.
On December 16th, 2012, the 23-year-old medical student and her male partner were attacked while riding a bus in New Delhi. The woman was raped repeatedly for nearly an hour before a metal rod was pushed inside her, critically damaging her internal organs. She was transferred to a hospital in Singapore and required multiple surgeries for head and intestinal injuries. She died as a result of her injuries two weeks later.
Media Resources: AFP 2/28/2013; Reuters 2/28/2013; Feminist Newswire 1/28/2013
10/21/2014 Afghanistan's New First Lady Advances Women's Issues - Just a few days after moving to the presidential palace, Afghanistan's new First Lady Rula Ghani said that she hopes to encourage greater respect for women.
Rula Ghani already broke tradition by participating in her husband, Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai's, campaign for President. . . .
10/21/2014 Hulu Silences Rape Survivor Speaking Out Against Anti-Abortion Amendment 67 in Colorado - Hulu, an online, ad-supported streaming service, has refused to run an advertisement from the "No on 67" campaign in Colorado, citing the company's policy regarding "controversial" political positions on issues like abortion.
In a letter to the CEO of Hulu, dated October 10, the Vote No on 67 Campaign, which is supported by the Feminist Majority Foundation, asked the company to reconsider its unwillingness to air a 35-second spot featuring a rape survivor's testimony about the far-reaching impact of Colorado's proposed Amendment 67. . . .