feminist wire | daily newsbriefs
- Institute "Conscious Protection" - The amendment allows for any health care provider to 'opt-out' of providing abortion-related services, including referrals.
- Limitation of Abortion Funding - Health plans created under the new state insurance exchange as mandated by the Affordable Care Act will not include abortion coverage. In addition, any city or county health plan in North Carolina may not extend more abortion coverage than received by state employees.
- Sex Selective Abortions - Abortions believed to be sought out on the basis of the sex of the fetus will be outlawed.
- Transfer Agreements - All clinics offering abortion services must enter into "transfer agreements" with a local hospital, though they are not necessary in cases of emergency.
- Licensing - A new licensing process, similar to that of outpatient surgical clinics, will be required of all clinics offering abortion services.
- Mandate "Informed Consent" - Requires that all scheduled patients are provided the name of the doctor performing the abortion 24 hours prior to their appointment, potentially putting the doctor in danger (anti-choice extremists have scheduled "fake" appointments just to get information about clinic employees, including doctors).
There is only one clinic in North Carolina out of the state's 36 that currently meets all of the amendment's new requirements if the bill is signed into law by the governor. North Carolina Governor Pat McCroy (R) has not said whether or not he will veto the bill, but chided the Senate Republicans for their efforts to rush the bill through the legislative process.
Media Resources: HB 695; Huffington Post 7/3/2013; News Observer 7/2/2013; WRAL 7/2/2013
<< Back to Feminist Wire